Thursday, March 15, 2012

Miso-Orange Glazed Fish


Flipping through yet another cashier line, impulse-purchase magazine, I came across a recipe for a glazed fish. The featured recipe was a soy-mustard glaze, one that Mr. Max was very interested in. On the bottom right side of the page there was an adaption for another sauce, this miso-orange glaze, the one that I was tempted by.

I have marked several recipes with miso as the star ingredient, but when it comes down to it, I always choose something else over. It was time to break out of the usual and try something new, not just another adaptation of a taste I know and like, one that I am comfortable with. Looking at the recipe, I had that oh-la-la feeling of a challenge coming on. But why? Simply because I wouldn't have said: hey, I think I'm going to combine whole grain mustard (that I don't even like by itself), some orange juice and zest, miso paste and brown sugar, then lather it on some fish tonight. But that's the beauty of this my foodie friends! And the reason I impulse purchase these test kitchen magazines in the check out line.

It's dishes such as this that made me fall in love with this little hobby in the first place: taking a various assortment of ingredients, combining and creating something delicious. And don't we all love to fall in love over and over again?

This recipe was taken from the America's Test Kitchen Light and Healthy 2012 magazine. Not only was it quick and easy, it was also delicious and nutritious with 330 calories, 12g fat, 15g carbs, 35g protein, 880mg sodium.

Grocery List:
For fish
  • Two 4-6 oz. fish fillets (I used salmon but this would be great on halibut or another white fish)
  • 1 tsp. light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. canola oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For Orange-Miso Glaze
  • 1 tsp. grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 tbsp. white miso paste
  • 1 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. whole-grain mustard
  • 3/4 tsp. cornstarch 
  • pinch of cayenne
Start by pre-heating your oven to 300 degrees and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together until well combined.


 

Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-heat. Let simmer, whisking often until thickened (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

Sprinkle the brown sugar over top each fish fillet, season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat to sear the fish. Place fillet flesh side down and for about 1 minute.
 

Flip the fish and sear the skin side for about 1 minute.
 

Place your fish in an oven safe baking dish. I like to use aluminum foil to assist in not only the cooking process, but the cleaning process as well! Brush the glaze evenly over the fillets then place in the oven.
 

Cook for ten minutes or until fish looks and feels done. Transfer the fish to a dish and dinner is ready!
 Served with a parmesan-pine nut broccoli (recipe coming soon!)
Tastefully yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly