Monday, May 31, 2010

Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos

For this meal, I decided to utilize the greatness that can be pre-chopped or packaged food at Whole Foods. After an exhausting, yet fun, lake weekend and an aching sunburn, this worked out well for a quick and refreshing dinner.

Grocery List:
1 lb Mahi Mahi fillet
1 packet of Fish Taco Seasoning (I found a generic one in the spice aisle)
mango-corn salsa relish (stumbled upon it in the produce section, definitely took this one over attempting to create it myself this time around)
1 package of tortillas (I used Whole Wheat flour tortillas)
Cotija cheese
Shredded lettuce
1 can of black beans
1/4 cup of sweet onion

Additional needs...
Cutting Board
Vegetable Oil
Butter
Ziploc Bag
Water
Knife
Large Skillet
Medium size sauce pan
Cheese Grater

I started by cutting the mahi mahi fillet down into 1 inch sections, trimming what I refer to as the scaley side on the bottom as I went along. Next, I took those sections and cut them to 1 inch squares. The seasoning packet I bought instructed me to pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the Ziploc bag, then put the fish in and add the seasoning. Let that sit for about 15 minutes.

Next I prepared the black beans. Use the food processor to chop up the onions, then sautee them in a medium sauce pan over 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Once fragrant, I added the can of black beans, cooking over high heat until ready then low heat until ready to serve.

To cook the fish, take the contents of the Ziploc bag and pour them into a large skillet over high heat. Use a spatula to flip the fish while it cooks, then add a lid if you have one to assist in the cooking process. This will only take about 10 minutes until finished.

Last, take the block of cotija cheese, which is a great, light-tasting, white cheese from Mexico, and grate it into a bowl. I heat the tortillas in the microwave on low heat for 30 seconds so they were soft and warm.

Add your desired amount of fish, mango-corn salsa relish, black beans, lettuce and cheese to your tortilla and you have one delicious dinner!


(still without a camera, iPhone pic of finished product)

I also used Spanish Rice Pilaf out of a box as a fabulous entree accessory - aka, side dish. I would recommend using sliced avocado for the fish tacos, but unfortunately the ones at the store were rock hard, and I just don't have good luck trying to cut into those, so I passed.

This amount of food was enough for the three consumed taco portions and there was enough left over for probably two more tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly