Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with RasPberry Sauce

This recipe comes with a story, which will explain the P in rasPberry...

...once upon a time ago, I stayed over at my friend Greer's parent's house while she was house-sitting. We had cooked a big meal the night before, then had a fun night out on the town, so the next morning we decided to cook a delicious breakfast. Still groggy, I am looking through the fridge for jelly and pull out a jar loudly explaiming "rasPberry? what the heck is rasPberry?" - emphasis on the P. Within seconds I realized my mistake, but it was too late. I look over to see Greer perk up in her chair, eyes grow huge and then hysterical shrieks of laughter followed. I blamed it on the curve of the label, it didn't read right, I was tired, I had a temporary lapse of cognitive understanding, I... no excuses, blond moment. Which, I think I was blond at that point in time so it will work as the underlying excuse.

When I stumbled on this recipe in a Comfort Cooking book my mom gave me years ago, I died laughing at the memory. I decided to try this as a tribute to that special moment of confusion in a friendship that has endured all kinds of moments such as this. I texted her to let her know that I would be making this so I dedicate this recipe to Greer and our rasPberry jelly morning.

Grocery List:
for Pork marinade
1 lb pork tenderloin
1/4 cup Tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon black pepper

for rasPberry sauce
2 tablespoons shallot
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup Merlot
1 jar (8 oz.) seedless rasPberry jelly
1 tablespoon arrowroot
2 tablespoons water

Start by making the marinade for the pork tenderloin. Combine the olive oil, tamari or soy sauce, minced garlic and minced shallots in a bowl. Mix together well then add the pork tenderloin to the sauce. Pierce the meat with a fork all over and mix around in bowl until fully coated. Set in fridge for 20 minutes.




In a small saucepan saute the shallots in olive oil until fragrant. Add the Merlot and bring to a simmer - this smells divine!


Add the rasPberry jelly, stirring until melted in.


In a separate bowl, combine arrowroot and water, mixing well.


Stir mixture into the sauce and simmer until thickened.


Set this aside and prepare your pork. We used the mighty Egrill and this took about 15 minutes to cook all the way through. To save on time, you could cut the pork into medallions and either pan-sear, grill or roast in the oven.


Once cooked, slice up (if you have not already when cooking) and spoon the rasPberry sauce over top the pork. Max Man and I found this to be aah-mazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly