Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Veggie Medley Quinoa

I had carrots, I had zucchini and I had squash. I planned to saute them with a little seasoning and be done with it. Then, I felt the urge to make something more out of it. I looked in my pantry and saw I had quinoa on the third shelf - touchdown.

Easy and simple, packed full with nutritious delight, here is my version of a veggie medley quinoa.

Grocery List:
- 1 zucchini squash
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 small onion, diced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Parsley
- Garlic Salt
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Tamari

Heat about 2 tablespoons worth of olive oil in a large skillet (if you have a wok, I would suggest it, I felt I should have used mine). Chop your squash and carrots into coins. For Christmas, my aunt started me on a new knife set so I use my wonderful new Santoku Wusthof tonight!


Begin sauteing your onions in the olive oil, I seasoned with garlic salt and dried parsley.


Once translucent, add the other veggies. Turn up to medium heat and cover to allow for veggies to steam and soften within the skillet.


Meanwhile, in a small pot, take your quinoa and boil in 2 cups water (rule of cooking this grain is 2 cups water to every 1 cup of quinoa - if you are making for more, remember that). Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer on lower heat until water is absorbed.


Now - I just start making things up. When quinoa was nice and cooked, I dumped it in the skillet with my sauteing veggies. I felt it needed some liquid so I added about 1/4 cup worth of chicken stock as it all blended, continuing to cook. Next, I felt some seasoning was in order so I added some garlic salt and dried parsley to taste (about 4 hearty shakes of each). Next, I decided to throw in 2 pinches of Parmesan cheese. Stir well!



Finally, I decided it needed something a little tangy and I remembered my double broccoli quinoa recipe using tamari, so I pulled out my tamari and added about 2-3 tablespoons worth. Mix it all up, you have a great tasting, healthy dish!


Served with a pomegranate glazed salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly