Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gorgonzola Cream Chicken


When I began my experimental cooking days, I found a lot of recipes of interest on Allrecipes.com. I was starting to learn different sauces and creams, but more so, the healthier ways to make them without the oh so popular heavy cream. This Gorgonzola cream sauce ended up in my email box about 3 years ago, but the original did not use any cream. What I came to find was that the gorgonzola "sweat" so much, it was hard to create a good base, it was oily and separated rather than smooth and creamy. I decided to add just a few tablespoons of Half and Half, the missing ingredient to provide the right consistency, adding an additional 20 calories.

I've made this into a pasta but unless you enjoy the bleu cheese family, it can really be a little over powering. I decided to make a simple chicken and veggie dinner with this sauce to add in a whole lot of flavor. The sauce itself has 110 calories.

Grocery List:
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1/3 cup gorgonzola crumbles
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tbps. Half & Half
  • 1 green onion, minced
  • Pepper
  • 2 Chicken breasts (I used 2 butterflied chicken breasts and cut them in half for a total of 4)
Usually, I try not to cook with butter but for this I really couldn't use a substitute. In a small sauce pan melt the butter on low heat. Add the Gorgonzola cheese and garlic, stirring until melted and combined well.

Meanwhile, using a griddle pan or grill, add the chicken and cook both sides for about 6 minutes until cooked through.

Add the green onions, pepper and cream, stirring well.


 
Taste your cream sauce to make sure it is as you like it, adding more cheese or cream if needed. Once finished, serve over top the chicken breast.




Paired with sauteed squash and pesto-herb pearled couscous




1 comment:

  1. I made this but since I hate gorgonzola I used feta and it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly