Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mexi-Texi Layer Salad with Shrimp

 


Last month, I made a little side salad that I endearingly named my Mexi-Texi salad based on its contents of black beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes and other delights. Recently, I saw a fabulous layered salad with similar contents, topped with shrimp and decided to scratch the mango shrimp salad I had planned for that night to make this instead. I happened to already have all of the ingredients on hand so I took Skinny Taste's trifle presentation idea and made this tasty mid-week meal. If you are feeding a boy, this is plenty filling and dude approved. Because of the trifle concept, this salad made far more than what the two of us could finish. This version is sufficient for 4-6 people.

Meal includes 288.4 calories, 10.6g fat, 28.7g protein, 25.1g carbs, 8.8g fiber, 55.5mg sodium

Grocery List:
  • 1 lb. de-veined, peeled shrimp
  • Cajun Seasoning (Tony's)
  • 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 4 cups chopped romain lettuce
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup corn (grilled, preferably for flavor)
  • 1/4 cup orange bell pepper
  • 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 1 cucumber, chopped (I peeled and de-seeded mine)
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1 ripe avocado, diced
  • Reduced fat cheese (I used reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese)
  • Salad dressing of choice (I used a creamy low-fat smokey Ranch dressing)

Start by adding water to a large pot and add the shrimp. Add about 3 tbsp. of creole seasoning and a sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning if you have some. Cook for about 15 minutes or until water is boiling, then drain your shrimp, set aside to let cool. Once cool, cut in half for smaller bites and toss in lime juice, adding a little more seasoning if you need to.

To begin the layering process, add your lettuce to the bottom of the trifle bowl.

Next, I decided to saute my corn because it was a bit frozen. I took this opportunity to also cook the bell pepper because they are just better softened. (not pictured)

In a bowl, mix the black beans, corn, bell peppers and cilantro.
 Mix well....


Add your second layer to the trifle made up of the corn, black bean, bell pepper mix.

Quick how-to, this is how I de-seed my cucumber: cut in half and hollow out the middle with a spoon.

Using one cucumber did not spread very far for this layer, so if serving more than two people, I would suggest using two. Now add your third layer.

For the fourth layer, add your diced tomato mixed with diced red onion.

The fifth layer is the tasty avocado - spread it across the top of the cucumber.

Sprinkle cheese over the avocado and top with the chopped, seasoned shrimp.

To serve, use salad tongs to reach down to the bottom, pulling up all the tasty layers of the salad. Top with your dressing of choice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly