Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I have no need for Pei Wei ever again. Those are strong words, can I back it up? Yes.

This is how much I loved not only the finished product, but making them. These little babies are 430 calories and no carbs, if you skip on the rice! The original recipe called for the use of fish sauce, a thai chili, lime zest and shitake mushrooms but I said "uh-uh cook book, I don't think so"... and adapted it slightly also adding ginger, hoisin and soy sauce. Below you will find my version.

Grocery List:
1 lb of ground chicken
Sesame Oil
Tamari (Soy Sauce)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 small can of water chestnuts, chopped
3 scallions, chopped (green onion)
3 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon of Red Chili Sauce (my answer to the thai chili pepper)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar
3 slices of fresh squeezed lime
1 head of Bibb or Butter lettuce
Brown Rice (I remain committed to my 90 second, Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice)

Additional Needs:
Wok or Skillet (I've mentioned my Wok love affair, alas it is packed away so I used the skillet)
Spatula
Small mixing bowl
Knife, cutting board




First, take your sesame oil and add about 2 tablespoons to the skillet, followed by 3 shakes of the soy sauce. It will look like an expanded version of balsamic and oil you are served to dip bread in at Italian restaurants.



Next, add your ground chicken and cook over medium-high heat, using your spatula to break it up into small chicken chunks.





In a small bowl, squeeze your lemon, add your brown sugar, then about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (this was the amount of fish sauce recommended, I just replaced it with the Tamari), 2 tablespoons of the Thai Red Chili sauce, 3 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce, the cornstarch and ginger. Mix it together and taste your sauce - use your taste bud instincts to add whatever you want more of.



Next, mince up your garlic via food processor or other blade method of choice.



When your chicken is cooked through, add the minced garlic, chopped scallions and water chestnuts. I think my can opener was lost in the move, so this was our answer:

Max-man's resourceful techniques of using the sharpest knife, a screw driver and pliers to open this thing.



Added together!


Cook for about 5 minutes more, then add your sauce to the skillet and mix together. At this point, I added more Thai Red Chili and Hoisin sauce - just a light drizzle/pour atop the skillet.





Let this blend together while you wash your lettuce.


Stick your Uncle Ben's rice in the microwave for 90 seconds. Pat lettuce dry with a paper towel, break apart your leaves and you are ready to serve! Add the rice first, top with the minced chicken mix and indulge.


This received five MMM-mmm's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly