Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Turkey Chili Taco Soup

I know what you are thinking: um, what? As I typed the title of this, that is all I could think, so again, I like to put myself in your thoughts.

I begin tonight's recipe with a little story for you folks. I only like turkey in my sandwich and on Thanksgiving. However, I continue to see more and more recipes using turkey instead of chicken or beef. I was almost turned away from my skinny meatloaf post because it was 1/2 turkey but I tried it anyway and it was awesome. So, last week I went to My Fit Foods to pick up a donation of coupons and gift certificate to an auction I'm coordinating. As I waited while they printed the certificate and bundled 200 coupons, the nice salesman asked me if I would like to try something on the house. I asked him what their best-seller was and he said their Killuh Chili. I was skeptical, this was a dude talking and chili sounded very much like "dude food" but then this girl came in that I recognized from yoga, which happened to be right down the street. She ordered it so that gave it "chick cred". I told him I'd try it, though the meat used was ground turkey. Turned out, I loved it. This experience gave me a whole new appreciation for turkey.

I recently came across this recipe from Gina's Skinny Recipes blog and built it into my meal planning for the week now that I am accepting turkey as delicious. This is my adaptation of her recipe and it was quite enjoyable. I have enough left over to last Mr. Max and I through the week for lunch.

A bowl of this soup contains 198 calories, 1.4g fat, 29.7 carbs, 7g fiber and 19.5g protein.

Grocery List:
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 10 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes and chipotle chiles (or green chiles)
  • 10 oz. bag of frozen corn
  • 15 oz. can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 8 oz. can of tomato paste
  • 16 oz. fat free refried beans 
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 2 - 2 1/2 cups fat free low-chicken broth
I started by browning my turkey in a skillet with just a little olive oil.Use your spatula to separate it out into small chunks.

As I let my turkey brown, I shot the rest of the ingredients, like I used to!

Next, add your chopped onion and bell pepper - cook over medium heat until softened.

I decided to do this next part in my crock pot because I had a post-work meeting. You can crock it my way or stove it Gina's way for a quicker result. If going the crock route, pour the tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, tomato sauce, refried beans, and taco seasoning into the pot.

Now stir it together.

What is that plastic in the picture above?? I would like to take a moment for a little unpaid product placement. Word of mouth, these things are a cleaning miracle. I once threw a queso'd crock pot away after a party because I'd rather buy a new one than clean it. True story of the 23-year old me. If I had these, that would never have been an issue...

Once the veggies are soft, add the skillet contents and combine well. At this point it is up to you how you want the consistency of your "soup" to be. I added 2 cups of chicken broth and after stirring it up, I poured a little more, maybe 1/4 cup.

I left for an hour 1/2 and came back to a perfect consistency, not too thin but not too thick.


Top with cheese and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly