Sunday, February 5, 2012

Turkey Chili


As we all know, tonight is the Super Bowl. For the first time, I'm bypassing the watching parties so that I am not tempted by the amazing dips, sweets and sliders galore. I know myself and I do not have the will power to abstain from the bad stuff when it's sitting there next to me for hours. I want queso, I want guac, I want anything I can dip a chip into, I want chocolate and sugar, I want a beer, I want, I want, I want - but, I will not. So, Mr. Max is keeping me company, with a fire in the fireplace, and we are both getting some work done paying bills, filing taxes, working on upcoming event needs, all as we watch the Super Bowl. Boring? Perhaps. But you know, I'm totally okay with that. 

So, we needed to make some dinner and took a trip to the grocery store to stock up for the week and grab ingredients tonight. I can have peppers, I can have tomatoes, I can have lean ground turkey, I can have spices, I can have beans, I can have onions. Therefore, I can make a pot of chili for game watching without feeling guilty or like I'm missing out. You can never have too many chili recipes and this was very delicious and nutritious, so I wanted to share to add to your collection!

Click here for nutritional facts. Recipe yields 8 servings. 

Grocery List:
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey
  • 16 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes with diced green chiles (not drained)
  • 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 12 oz. can canneloni beans, drained (white kidney beans)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • Cumin
  • Chili powder
  • Garlic salt
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion to soften and cook for about 5 minutes.
 

Add the ground turkey, using a spatula, break it apart into smaller chunks. Season with 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. chili powder and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder.
 

As the turkey browns and cooks, add the tomato paste, beans, and tomatoes with green chiles to the crock pot over high heat. Give it a stir to blend the ingredients.
 

When you can't see any more visible pink in the turkey chunks, add the contents of the skillet to the crock pot. Add the packet of taco seasoning and stir. Finally, add the vegetable stock - a little at a time - until all mixed in.
 
 

Put the lid on and set the timer for about 2 hours. The longer it cooks, the more the spices blend together. I try to let mine simmer for 2-4 hours, but your time frame is up to you! Check in on it periodically, giving it a stir and adding any of the spices already used, at the discretion of your own taste buds. Throughout the cooking process, I added more cumin, chili powder and a pinch of garlic.
 

When you are ready, serve as you please! Mr. Max added a dollop of sour cream, cheese and corn chips to his. I had one cup of chili and added just 1 tbsp. of shredded cheese.


Tastefully yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly