Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Grown Up Grilled Cheese

I came across this recipe in one of my Cooking Light magazines, adapting it slightly adding pesto, spinach and pancetta, opposed to their tomatoes, bacon and onion. Coming it at 370 calories, I give you my new favorite grilled cheese sandwich.

Grocery List:
Reduced Fat sharp white cheddar (I found this to be a bit strong, for someone who is a self-proclaimed sharp cheese lover, I suggest a more mild cheese)
Fresh spinach leaves
Pancetta
Pesto
Fresh whole wheat bread
Butter

Additional Needs:
Skillet
No-stick spray
Knife, cutting board

To start, lay out your pieces of bread and spread one side lightly with butter.


Next, flip the bread and spread pesto like you would mayo or another sandwich spread. I cheated and didn't make a home made pesto - instead I used a pesto a coworker and fellow foodie, Laurie, made for me. It is some good stuff!


Sprinkle your cheese on either side of the bread pieces, then top with fresh spinach leaves. When I make this again, I would advise cooking the spinach so you could fit more in your grilled cheese and it could combine easier with the melting cheese.


Take your pancetta, coarsely chop it up, then put it in the oven for 5-8 minutes.


When it is cooked and browned take it out, let it cool, then add it to a piece of bread.


Spray your skillet with no-stick spray and lay your top and bottom bread, butter side down. Let this cook on medium for about 5 minutes until both pieces' cheese is melting.



Flip one piece of bread cheese-side down on top of the other to combine. Let these cook together on low heat for another 5 minutes.


Once the cheese is completely melted throughout, remove from heat and you are ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly