Saturday, August 14, 2010

Spicy Shrimp and Mango Salad

I was able to use some repeat ingredients from my Summer Stirfry for this one - getting my moneys worth for my grocery shopping! I'd been wanting to make a shrimp salad, because my college roommate and I used to make a tasty shrimp salad after we'd play tennis. Let me clarify - when I say "play" tennis, I mean we would go hit and try to serve, not really keep score and go until we were tired. It was one of our favorite meals and fun things to do. Tennis. Shrimp Salad. The Bachelor and/or The Hills.

As I was leaving Whole Foods, I came across a card for a spicy shrimp, it was baked and served as an appetizer. When we were in Houston a few weeks ago, I had an incredible salad with spicy shrimp and a mango viniagrette at Escalante's, so I decided to put it all together and create my own, nostalgic for that college version just kicked up a couple notches. Mr. Max, my meat and potatoes hearty meal man, was not exactly stoked to have salad for dinner - but oh were we both pleasantly surprised with the outcome of dinner. And... he got to play on the griddle which is as close to a real grill we can get at my apartment.

Grocery List:
For shrimp
1/3 cup Sriracha (a hot sauce you can find in the same aisle as the Asian foods)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 handful of roughly chopped cilantro
1 spoonful of sugar (Mary Poppins flashback...)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb of small peeled, deveined and preferably de-tailed shrimp

For salad
1 box of mixed greens
Cucumber
Avocado
Mango
Asparagus

For dressing (reminiscent of Chipotle's honey vinaigrette)
1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup of honey
2 tablespoons of Adobo (hard to find, I looked at all the regular grocery stores, finally finding it at Super Target - for another recipe long, long ago)
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped oregano
1/3 cup of olive oil

Additional Needs:
Skewers
Grill, Griddle or Skillet
3 mixing bowls

First, let's make our spicy shrimp sauce. Combine the Sriracha, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, cilantro and sugar then season aggressively with salt and pepper. Mix this all together, then add the shrimp to let it marinade for at least 20 minutes.








Next, you can make your salad dressing. These measurements are a bit loose, the olive oil was more and it was way too much, so I took it down to what I think would have been best, added more of the red wine vinegar and honey as I was making it, so those measurements should reflect the way I made it when it was all said and done. Combine them all together and continue to stir them, adding whatever you feel is best. Set aside in the fridge.



Next, take your mango, avocado and cucumbers to chop up to bite size/salad bits. You can steam your asparagus quickly in the microwave, then cut the spear into thirds or fourths.



Once your shrimp has marinated, run them through skewers, coat your grilling surface with no-stick spray and allow them to grill for about 15 minutes, flipping frequently.


As soon as your shrimp are grilled to your perfection, remove them from skewers and mix up your salad in a big bowl.


Add the dressing, add your shrimpies to the top and you have one amazing summer salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly