Friday, August 6, 2010

Spicy Apricot Grilled Chicken

I've finally moved into the right apartment and in my new kitchen, still working on getting settled. The nights I've actually been able to cook (which have been few and far between, lately) we've rotated through some repeat recipes that I've already featured on here. Last night, however, I decided to look for a new light "summer" meal and came across a glazed chicken in the America's Test Kitchen Light and Healthy magazine book. This recipe is very simple and easy to make, prep time was maybe 6 minutes, cook time 10 minutes. Calorie count for the prepared chicken dish comes in at 240. I had a birthday party to prepare for so a quick, low-hassle dinner is exactly what I was looking for, I highly recommend this.

Grocery List:
2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 small shallot, about 1 tablespoon worth, minced
4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon of honey
3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Additional Needs:
Grill or Griddle
Food processor
No-stick spray
Spoon or pastry brush



You will want to peel your shallot and maybe coarsely chop it into a few sections.


Throw that into the food processor, along with the apricot preserves, ground mustard, dijon mustard, cayenne, water and honey.


Pulse the ingredients until you have a smooth mixture, then season with salt and pepper to taste.


Trim your chicken if you need to, and I pounded mine to be about a half-inch thick and then cut it in half to help it cook faster.


Use your pastry brush to apply a very thin amount of canola oil to the chicken and grilling surface.



Next, use it to brush on the apricot glaze mixture to the top side of the chicken and you are ready to throw it on the grill!




I like to let it sit to create the grill lines because then I feel like it's authentic. Flip and re-apply the glaze until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is done, dollop on a final coat to the top of the chicken and you are ready to serve!



I made lemon green beans and carrots to accompany this entree, which was a wonderful compliment to the tastes.



Stay tuned next week for a spicy shrimp dinner and a mango-chicken dish. I'm working toward getting through my summer tastes before the fall season!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate: I'm your newest follower, love the site and look forward to what you're cookin'

    anne
    www.anniebakes.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly