Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hatch Chile Stew


It is not a secret that Whole Foods is my favorite grocery store.The reason for this because of their fresh, wonderful selections and let's be honest, the proximity to my current residence. However, my world will be rocked in a month when I get to go through a move across town and I head back to my old 'hood from four years ago. At that time, Central Market will be my closest store and I will not hesitate to say, probably my new preference. Contrary to what some of my recipe posts may convey, I do like easy, people. Additionally, Central Market does have a one-up on Whole Foods because they offer cooking classes with some impressive product mention that is rather enticing AND they are advocates of the "sample while you shop" method. I am a fan of this, which leads into how we came across this gem of a meal.

To help acclimate myself again to my former and soon-to-be new stomping grounds, okay and maybe for the 4th course coupon for Dallas' Restaurant Week with purchase of $25, I decided to do my Sunday grocery shopping there a few weeks back. As I meandered through the maze that is the store, I sampled all kinds of treats. In the meat section, they had a Hatch Chile Stew with pulled pork at the demonstration station. I had two plastic cup helpings (you know, sometimes you taste the mini-spoon amount and think, I need to try it again, just to make sure that I loved that as much as I think I do). I then gave some to Mr. Max for his approval and the next thing I know, he had the jar and was adding it to the cart. Meet the star of this post.

For those looking for a nice and simple dinner, this is your winner

Yum. Thank you Will, Brian and Kyle.

Grocery List:
  • 3/4 jar of jarred Green Chile Stew
  • 1 lb. lean ground pork or turkey
  • 3 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes
  • 1/2 cup white corn

Preparing the potatoes is the most time consuming part and that is not saying much. Start by peeling and then chopping the potatoes down to small chunks. Now class, why do we prefer the smooth, white Yukon potatoes to rough, brown Russet potatoes?? Because they contain less starch! Once chopped, boil in a pot until they can be easily pierced by a fork, but do not over cook, you do not want mushy taters.

Next, add a dash of olive oil to the skillet to brown and cook your meat for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.


Unpaid product placement: I highly recommend investing in this pasta scoop by Giada DiLaurentiis. It was apart of a cooking utensil birthday package that my brothers gave me. This really comes in handy! Once potatoes are ready, scoop and strain..........

 .........into a crock pot with the meat.

Add the jarred green chile mix and the corn into the crock pot on a high heat setting, stir together. 

To serve, spoon your stew into bowls, garnish with a nice shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and cilantro!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly