Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pan Seared Steak with Gorgonzola Chive Butter

I was looking for the perfect meal for Max's birthday dinner - when I woke up to an email on my phone from AllRecipes.com that read "flank steak in blue cheese chive butter", I knew with a little tweaking, this was it.

I don't know if I've mentioned it or not, but.... I don't have a grill. Hence, my love affair with my griddle pan. However, I've wanted to try to make a pan seared steak and with the affirmation from the birthday boy that "yes, let's make it that way, it will turn out really good", I saved the griddle for the zucchini and called in my trusty skillet for this one.

The original recipe used flank steak, I decided to go with his favorite, New York Strip, and my favorite, the melt-in-your-mouth, Fillet Mignon. Original recipe used more butter and blue cheese, I decreased the amount of butter and opted for Gorgonzola crumbles. I also accidentally grabbed green onions rather than chives in my hurried pursuit of groceries that Friday evening, so technically it was green onion butter, rather than chive but the taste I would imagine is very similar.

Now, I don't buy steak. I looked at the lady and just asked her to get me enough for a boy and then a good looking fillet for me. I think his ended up being around 16 oz, it was huge, mine looked around 8 oz, little much for me but it worked out for us in the end, cutting them in half and saving them for lunch.

The prep time was about 15 minutes, cook time close to 30. Calorie count according to the recipe, 489.

Grocery List:
Preferred cuts of steak
2 tablespoons of softened butter
1/2 cup of crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1 tablespoon of fresh chives (or accidental green onions, whatever)
1/2 teaspoon of Horseradish
Worcestershire Sauce

Additional Needs:
Skillet
Oven-safe baking dish
Meat injector (if you have one, it can be a fun little toy and very inexpensive)

We started by injecting the meat with Worcestershire sauce to get it nice and juicy, then preheating the oven to 450 degrees.


Next, throw your steaks in the skillet to let them sear for about 3 minutes on each side, medium-high heat.




Once they are seared, put them in the oven safe dish and pop in the oven for 15 minutes.


While these are in the oven, it's time to make your special butter. Chop up the chives nice and small and set aside. If your butter isn't soft enough, stick in the microwave for 5-8 seconds, but don't melt it. Stir in the gorgonzola crumbles, then add the chives. Finally the horseradish.




After 15 minutes, check on your steaks to see if they need more time. Ours were a little more rare than our liking so we popped them in for another 5 minutes. Once done, take them out and spread the Gorgonzola chive butter over the top, it will smell delicious as it melts and begins to drizzle down the sides and it tastes even better!





A mouth watering, elegant meal - you need to try this one! Served with my perfect potato recipe and the garlic grilled parmesan zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly