Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beef Goulash Stew

Take a moment, read my story, give a little to go a long way in the life of a child.
http://netcommunity.childrens.com/NetCommunity/kmckinley As mentioned in my post from Monday evening, this will be the start of every post through Tuesday, November 16!

As part of my ode to cold weather foods, tonight I give you a beef stew. Not just any beef stew, but a Hungarian Beef Goulash Stew! Now, I'm not Hungarian, the closest I am is that I get hun-ga-ry every now and then (insert lame joke drum cadence here) , but in my recipe research, this one seemed like an interesting new take on a hearty stew recipe.

At lunch today, I ran to my beloved World Market to check out their Dutch Ovens. I couldn't bring myself to get one when I have the crock pot. I feel much more at ease leaving my crock pot on for hours at a time than a dutch oven on my stove. My Max Man is at kickball tonight - yes, kickball. As an adult. This is how we met 2.5 years ago - and some girlfriends and I decided to have an impromptu happy hour to enjoy what is sure to be the last of this not-so-cold-after-all weather. While he's reliving those elementary school recess glory days as a mid-twenties responsible young professional, and I'm enjoying glorious wine, gabbing with friends at a beautiful patio bar, this little dish was home cooking on its own in the crock pot. My lunch time errand wasn't a total bust, I did pick up souffle dishes for an upcoming chicken and spinach souffle recipe, only $2.99 for both! And a 8 in skillet that was on sale, I needed a small one.

Let's cook some Goulash....

Grocery List:
- 1 lb. of chopped beef (stew meat)
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons of Paprika
- 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups of baby carrots (about 1/2 a bag)
- 1 pound potatoes, quartered
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Cumin
- Meat tenderizer
- Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by heating your crock pot and getting that ready for the stew mix.

Take your stew meat and put in a zip lock bag, add the flour, 4 shakes of meat tenderizer, 4 shakes of Cumin, salt and pepper, pressing it all together in the bag to combine.


Add a little olive oil to a skillet and add the beef. Brown the beef for about 10 minutes.


Add the beef stock, red wine and tomato paste to the crock pot and heat.
Once browned, add the beef to the crock pot. Take the onions and add to the skillet. Once translucent, add the chopped garlic, then 1 tablespoon of the paprika. The aroma was incredible!


While the onions and garlic saute, chop up the potatoes into 1 inch cubes.


Add potatoes and carrots to the crock pot, followed by the onion and garlic mixture. Last, add two tablespoons of paprika to the pot and let cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours!


When I got home from happy hour, I could smell the stew from down the hall, it was amazing. There was a sweet richness from the paprika and red wine, this was the best stew I've ever had!
I tried to get a good picture but they turned out a little steamy.


Enjoy this one, we will repeat this throughout the winter months, for sure!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!! The Cook's are a hungarian family (original last name Szakacs, but my papa changed it to cook b/c his patients couldn't pronounce it). If you want anymore Hungarian recipes, let me know! My mom has oodles of them and they are all delicious and filled with Paprika :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! And we are having perfect soup weather right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly