Sunday, November 14, 2010

Giada's Tortilla Soup

Take a moment, read my story, give a little to go a long way in the life of a child.
http://netcommunity.childrens.com/NetCommunity/kmckinley As mentioned in my post from Monday evening, this will be the start of every post through Tuesday, November 16!


Big sigh - as much as I love Sunday, we have such a bittersweet relationship, especially when about 5:00 rolls around. The weekend is over, it's time to get work done to get ready for the week. Meal planning today was the highlight, I am looking forward to the week of cooking, starting tonight with this Tortilla Soup, followed by Elie Krieger's Healthy Living Baked Ziti, then a spinach and feta salmon with roasted fingerling potatoes.

I recently decided to record Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network and came across this recipe. I am picky when it comes to tortilla soup - I do not like it chocked-full of vegetables and I prefer a tomato base broth. Watching this episode of her show, I took copious notes so that I could recreate it on my own. On this chilly Sunday evening, when the Dallas Cowboys are actually winning a game, I bring you a wonderful tortilla soup recipe, complete with your own baked tortilla strips. Coming from the tortilla soup snob, I loved this recipe and it was just the way I like it. I added additional flavors such as Adobo powder, cilantro and roasted chicken to the recipe and substituted a Poblano pepper for the Jalapeno pepper used in her recipe.

Let's get started!

Grocery List:
- 2 tsp. of Canola Oil
- Small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Seeded poblano pepper, seeded and minced
- 3/4 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Adobo
- Chili powder
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 3 shakes Cayenne Pepper
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Avocado (for garnish if wanted)

Start by pre-heating your oven to 375 degrees.

In a small saute pan, heat the canola oil, then add your onions. I chose to sprinkle some Adobe powder as they soften. Once translucent, add your garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.


In a large pot, combine the chicken broth and diced tomatoes on medium-high heat. Add oregano and cumin.


Mince the pepper and add to pot, along with the onions and garlic. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes to thicken.


Take your two corn tortillas and brush them with canola oil, then sprinkle with your seasoning of choice - I used chili powder. Using scissors or a knife, create small strips. Spread them along a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for about 12 minutes.


When they come out of the oven, they will be nice and crisp!


Sidenote: so I've been in the market for an immersion blender. Today I decided I needed to buy one for this soup, so I went to Target and bought a cheap Oster 2 speed. Though the KitchenAid beckoned my name, I decided to start with the Oster with the amount I will actually use it (not often enough to justify the $35 swing). Say hello to my new toy!


If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer the soup into a regular blender and blend until smooth. With the immersion blender, move it around the pot until well blended.


We bought a rotisserie chicken and carved it up into bite size shreds to add to the soup.


Taste test your soup. I added lime juice and about 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro, along with a few shakes of cayenne pepper and pinch more oregano.


Now you are ready to ladle and serve. Garnish with your tortilla crisps, some cheese and fresh cilantro. I bought an avocado to add but accidentally put it in the fridge when unpacking groceries and forgot, next time! Mr. Max made some Spanish rice and our refried bean recipe to go with our amazing soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly