Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bananas Paradise

After a night out celebrating a best friend's birthday at Benihana, I was in food coma. As I walked out the door thinking how could I possibly eat anything more, I found that in the 15 minute car ride home, there was magically room again. Before we left, they had tried to sway us to order their Banana Tempura for dessert. The more I thought, the more I pined for that banana treat then realized I had bananas and my own version at home.

When I was little, I used to tell my mom that I was full off of the "real food" but I had so much room for the "junk food" left. I would demonstrate this column-like illusion on myself and point to where my real food level was - usually at my head - and then point to where my junk food level was, usually at my knees. This imaginative fib would usually land me an eye roll or two and sent back to finish my broccoli before I could even think of ice cream for dessert. Perhaps I was onto something there after all...

This one is an original, an inspiration from an email recipe ages ago but no idea what it initially read, I got the gist of the recipe and that is all that matters. After the first time I made it for Mr. Max, it become his most requested anything. What began as bananas foster, became affectionately labeled as banana hammocks (our maturity at its finest), and finally bananas paradise which is a little better. The only thing you have to do is control the heat of the stove and know when to flip them.

Grocery List:
  • 2 bananas, peeled
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 3 spoonfuls of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup triple sec
  • Cinnamon
Start by cutting your bananas in half across the middle of the fruit. Then, cut them down the middle - it's easier to cut them down the middle after they are already shorter because they will break on you otherwise.


In a skillet, begin to melt your butter on medium heat. Once it is bubbling, add the bananas and turn up the heat to medium high (between 6-8 if you have a stove with numbers on a dial).


After about 5 minutes, ever so delicately with a spoon - yes, spoon - flip them over. They will be very soft and mushy I've tried using tongs and they rip the nanner apart. Add the triple sec and brown sugar at this time. Using your wrist, move the contents of the pan around from the handle. Set back on heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.


Carefully flip again, you will see the contents darkening in the pan, the bananas browning - this is good. After flipping, spoon the contents onto the bananas as they continue to cook. Now, sprinkle cinnamon across them.


After another 5 minutes, your bananas should be browned on both sides, with a crisp caramelized coating.


Scoop a little bit of vanilla ice cream into a bowl, then spoon some banana over top, drizzling with the left over juices from the pan.


Heaven, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You read my mind! I wanted to make this last night!! Thank you Katie McKinley!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly