Thursday, February 10, 2011

Braised Short Ribs

FINALLY! My little huff and puff with the meat man triumphed. After 2 weeks of my growing disappointment and perhaps straight up noticeable in the latter days, my store had short ribs! We discovered this Tuesday night as Mr. Max and I went to stock up on food for the possible Snowpocalypse round 3 predicted to hit on Wednesday. I had given up hope and planned a turkey chili instead. But alas, there they were, shining in all their meaty rib glory - a choir of angels sang in my head.

I'm breaking the low fat/low cal trend to bring you this meal. Now, I say that but here's the thing - there isn't anything that really rings out "FAT ALERT," "WATCH OUT HIPS," "DON'T EAT AGAIN FOR 2 DAYS!" This includes carrots, celery, low-sodium beef stock, red wine (good for the heart, don't you forget that) and Pancetta rather than bacon. Sounds rather safe if you ask me. After googling braised short rib recipes, I compiled this from a few different sources.

I initially planned to try this with creamy cheesy polenta but decided to save that for an upcoming pork tenderloin. Tonight, it's aaaaaall about the creamy whipped potatoes... perhaps that is where the not-so-good-for-you part comes in. I've served Max Man enough "chick food" lately, it was time for some meat and potatoes.

Grocery List:
  • 6-8 beef short ribs (about 4 lbs. - they are heavy suckers!)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • Pinch of thyme and allspice
  • Meat tenderizer
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 slices Pancetta
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1/3 cup minced onion
  • 2/3 cup red onion chunks (I only added this because I didn't have enough regular onion)
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped into 1 inch chunks
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 cups dry red wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
  • 2 cups beef stock
Ready for this? Let's go. Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees. Next, chop your Pancetta and throw it in a Dutch oven on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.


While your Pancetta is simmering, combine flour, salt and pepper, some meat tenderizer, dried thyme and a sprinkle or two of Allspice. Then dredge your ribs in the flour mixture and set aside.


hello ribs...prepare to get dredged




Brown the ribs in the Dutch oven for about 5 minutes on each side, excluding the side with the bone.


As your ribs brown, take the time to cut up the carrots, celery, onion and garlic.


Remove the beef from the pot and set aside on a plate (I stick in the microwave to keep warm).


Add the veggies and garlic, add bay leaves, with the olive oil and cook covered until softened, about 10 minutes.


Stir in the tomato paste, add the red wine and beef stock. Simmer for about 10 minutes then add the ribs. Cook for another 10 minutes.


Place in the oven for 2 hours. Do some dishes, some cardio, some googling.


You will be smelling amazing aromas after the first hour, don't be fooled, stick it out because it's worth the wait! When your timer goes off, remove from oven. Open that lid and that chorus of angels mentioned in the intro? They'll be singing to you.


Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.



Spoon out your bed of potatoes and serve the ribs and juice over top. Click here for my favorite creamy potato recipe.
Mr. Max's big-boy portion


My more piquenos portion - after all, I broke diet and have a bridesmaid dress to wear this weekend :-)


So tender, so juicy, so flavorful, so perfect. Enjoy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly