Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Citrus Chicken Fricassee and Veggies

I'm so sick of this cold weather I decided not to give into winter night comfort cooking. Instead I took to my Cuisine Light magazine for inspiration and something more vibrant. Tonight I bring you Chicken Fricassee with a citrus cream sauce and steamed veggies. I have never use bone-in so instead of stubbornly choosing my go-to chicken breast cutlet, I got the organic thigh and leg. This is a big day.

Though I have been anti-heavy cream in attempt to make as low fat/low cal as possible, the recipe was already health conscious so I used it as the recipe instructed. The nutritional facts are 382 calories, 14g total fat, 208mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 9g carbs, 51g protein, 2mg iron and 41mg calcium. The total cook time is about an hour and a 1/2.

Grocery List:
  • 2 bone-in chicken pieces (thigh and leg)
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup carrot, cut in 1-inch chunks
  • 1 cup orange, chopped
  • 1 cup lemon, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1.2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • Fresh parsley
Ok, I know, this is a long grocery list but I promise it is all worth it! Start by removing any of the skin a excess fat from the chicken pieces.


Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear half the chicken for 5 minutes per side, then transfer to a plate.


I bought pre-chopped onion, but take this time to dice up your veggies. These are my favorite little carrots!


Add the onion, carrot, chopped orange, chopped lemon, celery, garlic and bay leaf to the pot. Cover and reduce to medium-low, let it cook for 10 minutes.


Stir in the tomato paste and cook for two minutes - followed by the flour. Stir to help coat and cook for 1 minute.


Add the broth, orange and lemon juice, wine, and honey then simmer for about 10 minutes.


Add the chicken, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.


Strain the sauce into a bowl, discard the veggies. Pour the sauce into a sauce pan on medium-low heat.


In a small bowl, mix the cream and the yolk, then slowly add to the sauce, whisking well. Stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add about 2 pinches worth of chopped parsley.


I steamed fresh haricot verts, carrots and zucchini in my simple veggie steamer, using them as a bed. Lay the chicken over the veggies and top with sauce!


This was just what we needed; conjuring up some tropical flavors on a cold February evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly