Monday, February 21, 2011

Deviled Chicken with Sauteed Broccoli and Shallots

I have felt a slump coming on, the need for new recipes is growing. I've decided to start Throwback Thursday where I will take a meal I've already made, re-post it as I give it another shot with new additions or comments. This will commence next week as we kick off the month of March!

Back to my slump, where I had no solution until 5 minutes ago for tonight's dinner. I came home, started thumbing through my favorite go-to magazines to find I've made everything that was of interest to us. Then, I found a dog-eared page that was stuck to another page in my Cooking Light Holiday Special magazine. The recipe is for Deviled Chicken and reading it, I decided to look back at my deviled roasted potato recipe to liven this dish up a little more. Nutritional facts include 214 calories, 3.g fat, 34g protein, 8.8g carbs, 90mg cholesterol, 16mg iron, 17mg calcium.

The broccoli shallot recipe contains 48 calories, 2.4g fat and 178mg sodium.

Grocery List:
For chicken
  • 2 chicken breast cutlets (I cut them in half for 4 small pieces of thin chicken)
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • White wine vinegar
  • Panko bread crumbs
For broccoli
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2-3 tbsp. shallot, minced
  • Garlic salt
Start by preheating your oven to 475 degrees. Season your chicken with salt and pepper then lightly coat in cooking spray. Put in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.


Mix the prepared mustard, red pepper flakes and white wine vinegar in a small bowl. After the chicken has cooked for 10 minutes, take out of the oven and apply the mustard mixture to the top of each chicken breast.


Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over top and gently press to adhere. Finally, lightly coat again with cooking spray and then stick back in the oven for another 10 minutes.


While the chicken is in the oven, steam your broccoli in a skillet with 1/4 cup of water until bright green and tender. Drain excess water and add olive oil to skillet. Add minced shallot to the pan and saute on medium-high heat with broccoli. Sprinkle garlic salt over the veggies for added flavor.


Served with a fresh-outta-the-box Parmesan risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly