Monday, March 14, 2011

Better Than Yo Mamma's Pot Roast

When I think back to mom's dinners back in the day, her wonderful pot roast always comes to mind. Except, I'm not making my mom's version - I'm making Prevention Magazine's Best Weight Loss Recipes version. As we are ending our colder days in Dallas, I wanted to make this recipe before I put the crock pot away. It also worked perfectly because Mr. Max and I both had a meeting tonight that didn't put us home until after 8:00, so this was able to cook all day in my slow cooker and all I had to do was whip together the potatoes and cauliflower when I got home. This delicious dish lived up to the name, no offense to my mamma! Nutrition facts include 320 calories, 42g protein, 18g carbs, 2g fiber, 9g fat per serving.

Grocery List:
  • 1.5 lbs rump roast
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup baby carrots (I threw in half a bag)
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
Heat your oven to broil. Coat the roast in oil and set in an oven safe dish, broiling each side of the meat for 5 minutes to help brown it.


Combine the broth, ketchup, vinegar, onions, garlic and brown sugar in a 4-quart or large crock pot. Next add the roast, carrots and celery. Give it a stir and cover, cook for 6-8 hours.


After all of the time has lapsed, all you'll have to do was cut into it with a large spoon to serve. This was so juicy, sweet, savory, flavorful... it was a perfect roast, definitely living up to the name. I served with a much better attempt at cauliflower mashed potatoes!


Photobucket



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly