Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spanakopita

I am an event planner. The caterer I use for most of my events makes these incredible little Greek spinach pockets, otherwise known as spanakopita. I had them for the first time early last fall and have requested them at each event he's done ever since. When I decided on a tapas dinner, I wanted this to be one of the small plates.

Now, this was a bit of a challenge - phyllo dough is very thin, easy to tear and hard to separate. However, that was not why this didn't turn out quite the way I would have liked. For whatever reason, I've developed a bad taste when it comes to frozen spinach. So many recipes call for it, so I've used it many times but I can't shake the fact that to me, it tastes chalky. Therefore, I did not like the end taste, I couldn't get past the chalky spinach. I probably could have used more ricotta or feta to help combat that, maybe even a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt for a silkier consistency.

After making this Sunday night, my catering guru had these little bites at an event I ran Wednesday night and he had also sprinkled the top with Parmesan and nutmeg for added flavor. I'll try that next time as well.

Grocery List:
  • 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese
  • 1 tbsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tbsp. dill
  • 1 package phyllo dough sheets, thawed if frozen
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
Start by sauteeing your onion and garlic in olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute until lightly browned.


Once translucent, take them off the heat and put them into a mixing bowl. Add the ricotta, feta, nutmeg and dill.


Next, add the spinach and stir until combined.


Carefully roll out the phyllo dough sheets. Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick vegetable oil spray. Using a pastry brush, carefully brush the butter over an individual phyllo sheet, then top with another sheet, repeating process. Layer 3-4 phyllo sheets on top of each other.


Next, slice them lengthwise in thirds so you have three even strips of dough, about 3 inches wide.


Scoop one spoonful of the spinach mixture onto one end of the phyllo dough. Fold that end like so.


Then fold again keeping in triangle shape, like you fold a flag.


And again.


Repeat process until finished. Ta-da!


Bake in the oven for 2o minutes and until lightly browned.


Serve while hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly