Sunday, March 6, 2011

Braised Mini-Meatballs

Finally able to post recipes from the Academy Awards Tapas dinner a week ago today. These savory little meatballs came from a new magazine book I picked up while in the check out line at Whole Foods. It is Prevention's Best Weight Loss Recipes and contains 145 recipes that were really impressive. After thumbing through it, I decided it would be a good addition, I was in need of some new inspiration!

These little meatballs were perfect for the lineup last weekend, but I have to admit, I am a little confused by their nutritional facts. This recipe makes 36 meatballs (I halved that) but says serving size is 12 meatballs - that's a lot to eat - and only 120 cal per serving, 15g protein, 3g carbs, 4.5g fat and 132mg sodium. Am I interpreting this wrong? Regardless if it is truly 120 cal and company for 12 meatballs or one, we made so much food I think I only made it to 2 meatballs, though they were really delicious.

Grocery List:
1 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
2 large eggs
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 tsp. dried basil
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. olive oil
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup low sodium tomato paste
2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth

Combine your beef, eggs, onion, parsley, basil, pepper and salt in a large bowl. I found it best to really get your hands in there and mash it up, similar to meatloaf. The one thing I would have done is mince my onions up even smaller than I did, I felt they were too big, but that's okay.


Once it is all mixed together well, begin forming your meatballs.


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. In batches, add meatballs to the pan and brown each side for about 5-7 minutes. Once that batch is done, move to a plate to keep warm while you braise the remaining meatballs.


In a pot over medium heat, whisk the wine and tomato paste and let simmer, stirring occasionally. Add the meatballs and let the mixture thicken, about 10 minutes. Next, add the broth and continue to simmer about 30 minutes. Serve warm and garnish with fresh Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly