Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner: Best Ever Eggs

In my meal planning last Friday, somewhere I had stumbled upon a recipe called "Healthy Scrambled Eggs". I was only looking through 3 recipe magazines, yet when I went back to make it, I couldn't find it anywhere. Growing seemingly more irritated, and hungry, I decided to drop the search and just go with it.

What I remembered about this recipe is that it used 4 egg whites and 3 regular eggs - well, I was flying solo for this dinner tonight so that wasn't going to work. My nutritionist had once told me not to buy into the "egg white vs. whole egg" thing, that you aren't getting all of the nutrients that the egg has with just the egg whites, so I made two regular eggs. I embrace the yolk. Their recipe also used basil. With spring in the air, my body wants greens so I said how bout spinach. Finally, they used feta and I wanted a meltier cheese so I used Monterrey Jack, saving the feta for Thursday night's Chicken Florentine. Thanks for the inspiration, which ever resource you came out of, I am still frustrated not to have found you as if you don't even exist.

This took all of 10 minutes to make, incredibly simple and delicious!

Grocery List:
  • 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
  • 2 farm fresh organic eggs
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1-2 pinches Monterrey Jack cheese
  • Tony's Creole Seasoning
Ok, I'll say it for you, this is one of the shortest ingredient lists I think I've ever had. Measure out about a cup of spinach leaves. I choose to chop them like I would julienne basil, so stack them about 5-8 high, gently roll them and chop.






Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and add your spinach ribbons to cook. As we've discussed in other spinach posts, this is the magically wilting green, so add more to get to the amount of spinach you would like in your scramble.


While the spinach is doing its thing, take your eggs - crack and scramble.

Pour them right on in the skillet with the spinach, mixing well and often. Add 1-2 pinches of cheese and let it melt, as you scramble it in with the egg/spinach.

Last, add a shake of Tony's over top and you are ready to serve! I paired these eggs with some turkey bacon and my own rendition of honey wheat toast. I didn't really get around to photographing it. I placed a piece of wheat bread in the toaster, once it was done, I set a small square of butter in each corner and drizzled it with honey. Then I folded it over on top of itself and set it in the microwave for 15 seconds to allow the butter to melt and mix with the honey. Take it out and ta-da! It was similar to the Buzzbrew's version, but after comparing the two, I feel as though they use maple syprup along with or rather than the honey. Enjoy this breakfast for dinner dish, I most certainly did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly