Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Goat Cheese Omelet


Due to a storm this evening with hail and heavy winds, my mani/pedi date with friend Sarah (check out her blog!) was pushed back a little later in the evening to let the tornado threats pass. Welcome to spring in Texas! However, weather has been really erratic all over the south and even Midwest - thoughts and prayers go out to those it has effected whether slightly or devastatingly.

Not getting home until after 8:00 gave me a switch up - the pork hadn't fully defrosted and it was time to eat. With Mr. Max on his way over, I switched gears into breakfast for dinner intended for Wednesday night instead (another benefit to meal planning and shopping for the week ahead of time!)

I love cheese and eggs, so many combinations! I made some quick sauteed "stoplight" veggies on the side but doing it over again, would have thrown them in the omelet, they were a fabulous complement. 

This little meal, including the veggies, contains 233 calories, 17g fat, 16g carbs, 1g fiber, 2.5 mg iron and 84mg calcium per serving.

Grocery List:
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Tony's Creole (my addition)
  • 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. tarragon 
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
  • 1/2 cup julienned red/yellow bell pepper (I added yellow because I enjoy it more)
  • 1 tsp. fresh chives, minced
Combine the eggs, water, salt, pepper and creole seasoning in a bowl, whisking well.

Combine the cheese, parsley and tarragon in a bowl and set aside.


Heat oil in a skillet and add the zucchini and bell peppers; cook until tender. I also sprinkled a little creole seasoning over them as well as they cooked. Cook over low-medium heat and cover, stirring occasionally.

Heat up another skillet and coat with cooking spray. Pour in the egg mixture and let it set slightly, do not stir. Carefully loosen the edges with a rubber tip spatula, tipping the pan to try to help the uncooked egg cook and settle.

Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the omelet - my crumbles became a solid when I mixed with a spoon to blend the herbs, so I plopped several globs across the omelet surface.

Using the spatula, flip one side of the omelet over on the other. (as you can see, I still have some runny egg)

Now, using your spatula, cut the omelet in half so there are now 2 parts and flip over to let the other side cook.
 My omelets are not perfect, nor are the pretty, but they sure do taste good!

After about 2 minutes, remove to a plate and sprinkle with chives. By this point, the veggies should be soft and lightly browned, ready to eat. Spoon out and serve with whole wheat toast!
version 2 of picture from the top of page

1 comment:

  1. You made this last night?! I should have followed you home!! :) ...I did make spaghetti though and that includes washing the pans!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly