Monday, April 18, 2011

Tomato-Feta Couscous


I usually gravitate toward from-the-box risottos, rices, couscouses (spelling??) but this one looked so easy, I figured I could try it without it becoming too labor intensive. I had some tri-colored pearl couscous but you can use any kind, I personally prefer the pearled. I can't really give a reason why, it's just one those "because I just do" things!

This simple little side contains 150 calories, 31g fat and 197mg sodium per serving (serving size is 1/2 cup).

Grocery List:
  • 1 tbsp. Olive oil
  • 1/4 cup shallot, minced
  • 3/4 cup couscous
  • 1 cup fat free, low sodium vegetable broth
  • 3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. thyme
Easy peasy, here we go. First - here is the couscous I use for a visual reference. Why tri-color? This organic little treat says it contains paprika and spinach powder to enhance nutrients. I just trust the tub.

Heat the olive oil in a high sided, large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute for about 2 minutes.

Stir in the couscous and saute for about 1 minute.Add the broth and bring to a boil. After boiling for about 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.


 

Fluff the couscous with a fork then add in the tomatoes, feta, lemon juice and herbs.



Stir well and serve it up! Pictured above with the delicious maple-lemon glazed salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly