Friday, April 1, 2011

Queso "Blanco"



After a wonderful weekend, we felt like Mexican on Sunday night so we hit up Central Market, where our favorite fajita meat was waiting for us. We've always wanted to try a good Queso Blanco, and decided this was the time to do it. Annie's Eats helped me with the basis of this recipe, but I felt like the cheeses were not sharp enough for the taste were looking for, and there just wasn't enough kick to it. I wish we had a bigger jalapeno or maybe two of them for more spice - I would get two peppers just in case you want to kick it up another notch. For lack of another pepper source, I used chili powder and a smokey tabasco sauce to add more kick but that turned the color from such a pretty white to normal looking queso.

Only because we are self-admitted queso snobs, I don't think this was the best attempt. I'd like to use pepper jack cheese, maybe a nice manchego, queso fresco our chihuahua next time. I personally do not care for American cheese in general, but I know it melts well and doesn't "sweat" as much as other cheeses, which is why she may have used it to begin with. But, let's be real, American cheese is very bland. You will need a lot of flavor and spice to pep this up.

All in all, it was okay, hello - it is melted cheese. I'm determined to keep working on it to make it better and perfect the end result.

Grocery List:
  • 1 tbsp.  vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup white American cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
  • Chili powder
  • Tabasco sauce
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat then add the onion and pepper.

Sautee until softened then begin to add the shredded cheeses, followed by the milk to smooth the cheese as it melts.


Once the cheese is melted with a smooth consistency, add your tomatoes and cilantro.


I stirred this all together, it was beautiful, I took a chip to dip for test and this is where I discovered that it was very flat. I grabbed the chili powder and added some vigorous shakes, a dash of cayanne pepper and then a few drops of the tabasco. So long pretty white cheese dip....

Stir it up and serve it up. I added additional chopped tomatoes and cilantro for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly