This recipe from Cuisine at Home makes about 8 cups and the total cook time is about 45 minutes - including the chopping of vegetables and peppers. You can try this in a meatless version adding corn and black beans instead! The nutrition facts include 396 calories, 22g total fat, 23g carbs, 1g fiber and 25g protein.
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 5 tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup beer (recipe suggested Corona, but I used Miller Lite b/c it's all I had!)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (I used monterrey jack cheese instead)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I got a cooked rotisserie chicken and carved then shredded pieces, works great for the flavor!)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk in 3 tbsp. of flour to help coat the vegetables and cook for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, beer and chicken broth until smooth. Bring to a simmer.
Add the cheese a handful at a time, stirring to melt completely before adding the next handful. Finally add your shredded chicken and cilantro, sitting on heat for another 3-5 minutes until well mixed together.
Ladle into bowls and you are ready to go! Enjoy friends!