Saturday, January 22, 2011

Simple Wilted Kale

When I started working with my nutritionist back in May, she challenged me to eat WAY more greens than I had been. One that she always, always, always recommended to me was kale. I fulfilled my greens-overdose with ones I already liked, such as broccoli and asparagus, while slowly incorporating new favorites such as green beans, spinach and zucchini. Finally, I got around to the winter green that is kale. And, success - I liked it! I decided to make it like I do my spinach. Simply sauteeing some garlic and shallot in olive oil, then adding the leafy greens.

Grocery List:
  • 2-3 stalks of kale
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
Friends, meet kale. Kale, meet friends.


Friends, remove kale from stem and tear it up like so.


In a skillet, heat your oil and roast your shallot, followed by your garlic.


Once nice and fragrant, throw in your kale then drizzle in some balsamic vinegar. Cover and let wilt - about 5 minutes.


That's it, simple and easy! Sweet, tangy and a just a little crunchy. This was served with a balsamic glazed pork tenderloin over mashed cauliflower.


Coming soon, a kale gratin and some kale chips.....

1 comment:

  1. I have never cooked with kale. I need to try it. I hear that there are MANY health benefits to it. I will have to try this recipe. Thanks for a new idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly