Taken from Cooking Light's Recipe Makeover magazine, this recipe comes in at 239 calories, 7.9g fat, 30.9g protein, 11.4g carb, 3g fiber, 66mg chol, 1.8mg iron, 60mg calcium per serving.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger, divided
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 lb. skinless chicken 1/4 in strips (cut into small pieces if you would like)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. less-sodium soy sauce (or Tamari)
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Heat the remaining 2 tsp. of oil in the pan. Add the remaining 1 tsp. ginger, crushed red pepper and the chicken strips to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned - if you would like to chop the chicken down a little more to help cook, now would be a good time.
In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, hoisin, sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and garlic cloves. Add the broth mixture to the pan, cooking to let the mixture thicken. Return the broccoli to the pan, followed by the red bell pepper strips, toss to coat and cover for 3 minutes on low-medium heat to let everything blend.
Serve over your choice of rice or noodles! There was plenty left for Mr. Max seconds and my lunch the following day.