Sunday, January 2, 2011

Winter Greens with Pomegranate-Champagne Vinaigrette

The original Southern Living recipe was for a cranberry-champagne vinaigrette, however I had just bought a bottle of pom juice for pomegranate glazed salmon so I decided to substitute this. I bought a pomegranate, peeled and seeded for the first time, attaining the delicious red pearl-like seeds. I plan to make this vinaigrette to have on hand for future salad use.

Grocery List:
Mixed greens (I used about 3 cups worth)
1 pomegranate
3 tbsp. pomegranate juice (I used store-bought, but you can crush the seeds for juice as well)
2 tbsp. champagne vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 tbsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese
1/4 cup red onion (sliced into "C" like strings)
1/4 cup chopped pecans (I used our favorite honey-glazed pecans from Whole Foods)
1 Pear, sliced into small bites

Start by rinsing your greens and set aside in a large bowl. I used this handy video because I didn't know what I was doing and it did seem a little complex. Take your pomegranate and cut off the top, then score the sides by making four cuts top to bottom along the skin of the fruit. Put your thumbs in the center and gently pull apart the sections. The seeds mainly popped out but I followed the video instructions, putting in a bowl of water to loosen those caught in the fruit.


In a small mixing bowl, combine the pom juice, champagne vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper, whisking well. Then add about a handful of pomegranate seeds to the mix, set in the fridge until ready to use.


Combine the greens, Gorgonzola crumbles, pecans, pear and red onion, toss with the vinaigrette dressing and garnish with remaining pomegranate seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print Friendly